Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Crying for a Savior

Well, the Boy and I went to see the new Superman Returns movie last week. We gave it two thumbs up. There were some things I liked and some things I didn’t, but overall it was a good, (what you would expect,) Superman movie.

In this movie, Superman returns after a five-year absence. While he was gone, Lois wrote and article titled, “Why the World doesn’t need Superman.” He finds Lois Lane on the rooftop of the Daily Planet and this exchange takes place.

Superman: I read the article, Lois.
Lois Lane: Yeah, so did a lot of people. Tomorrow night, they're giving me the Pulitzer.
Superman: Why did you write it?
Lois Lane: How could you leave us like that? I moved on. So did the rest of us. That's why I wrote it. The world doesn't need a savior. And neither do I.

Superman asks Lois to go with him and he takes her on a flight high above the Earth. He stops and says:
Superman: Listen...
Lois Lane: I don't hear anything.
Superman: I do. I hear everything. You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one.

We who know the Savior have the ministry of sharing the love of the Father with a world that cries for a savior everyday. Jesus said, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows," (Mat 10:29 -31).

Yes, the world is a mess. People have turned to their own selfish ways and have no regard for God or the things of God. But not all people. There are those who know that God made them for more. They would love to believe that they are worth more than many sparrows. “They need a Savior, but who’s gonna to teach them, who’s gonna reach them with the Father’s love?”1


It’ll have to be us.

telemicus out

1 from "Savior" by Michael English

No comments: