Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Living Water

One night, many years ago, I had a dream that I will never forget. I was running at White Rock Lake. It was a warm day. The sun was bright and the colors on everything were like that scene from "What Dreams May Come". As I jogged, I was looking forward to reaching the spot by the spill-way where there is an old water fountain. I couldn’t wait to reach the fountain because I had been running so long and I was so thirsty. I approached the hill leading to the top of the spill-way, I could see the water fountain up ahead. But when I reached the fountain and walked over, it was “guarded” by three brightly colored snakes. One on the front and one on each side. Each time I moved to get around them, they moved to prevent me from reaching the water I desired so much.

The water represents my relationship with God. Not simply the time I spend in reading, reflecting, and learning His word, not just spending time in worship and adoring Him and his Power, not reveling in the depth of his love, but all those things that represent my personal relationship with the Father. The snakes are the activities of the enemy, and myself, that distract me, keep me too busy, drag me into fleshly pursuits and prevent me from engaging in the relationship I have with God.

The prophet Jeremiah wrote, “My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water” (Jeremiah 2:13). I realized sometime this week that, while I’ve been reading a lot and studying “about” God things, I’ve not spent much time with him. I’ve not purposely abandoned him, but I’ve allowed other things to keep me from him. So I committed myself to get back to spending time in worship, adoration and growing in God's word. If you find yourself thirsty today, slay the serpents and enjoy a retreat at the fountain of living water.


telemicus out

No comments: